Hera Again

29 July 2007

The biggest problem with doing so many dives and getting onto any boat that is going out, is that you will be revisiting things you have already done quite recently.

This was my fourth visit to the Hera this year! And I must admit as I get to know it better, the more I like it.

It was one of our Friday night jaunts out on Bay Marine’s Redeemer. Leaving the quay at 6pm as usual, we headed straight out to the Hera. As we started to leave the Carrick Roads, the wide part of the Fal estuary, we spotted some Basking Sharks swimming around. Shaun slowed the boat down for us to get a good look, we counted 4 different sharks in total. We hung around for a little while just looking and admiring these huge fish before we carried on.

I thought it was best if I jumped in first this time, I always come out last, and thought it would give everyone time to kit up at their leisure. Colin was also teaching part of a course and needed to talk to some of the students before they went in. Just before we were ready to jump in a small Sunfish was spotted near the surface, but as soon as we got close it disappeared under the water, typical.

Shaun had once again dropped the shotline onto the large ‘A’ frame, I am not sure what this actually is, it maybe part of a crane structure or the remains of a bulkhead, but it is covered in life. A few of us wanted to explore the other part of the Hera, from what everyone remembered the other part was north of the ‘A’ frame, it wasn’t, so we came back. I then started taking a few photo’s around the wreck when I saw a light in the distance, possibly south-east of the ‘A’ frame I didn’t take a bearing, so I went to see what part of the wreck they were on.

As I got close I recognised that this was the other part we were looking for earlier, two divers were rummaging around looking for anything interesting, I found part of a hair brush and part of a broom! Nothing of note. I then carried on around this section, which is probably more interesting than the part with the ‘A’ frame. There are some big pieces that stick up, and areas you can swim under, although most are a bit tight. There is a large amount of anemones and corals of different types, including a Red Finger soft coral inside part of the wreck.

I continued my recon. of the wreck until I looked at my watch and it said I had been down for 75 minutes, about time I headed to the shotline. On the way back a medium sized blue Jellyfish was making it’s way, just at the right place for a photo.

I went back to the ‘A’ frame, headed up the shotline and reached the surface after 80 minutes. I was still the last one on the boat.