The SDI Snorkeller Diver Course is designed to give students the necessary skills to efficiently snorkel in conditions similar to their training without the direct supervision of an instructor.
Who this course is for:
Individuals that wish to learn the “How to’s” for two different types of snorkelling, and allow them to be more comfortable in the water.
The two types of snorkelling are:
– Snorkelling is the use of mask fins and snorkel to primarily swim on the surface while being able to keep your face in the water without having to lift your head to breathe. Periodically you may dive below the surface for a short period of time to exam something closer
– Free diving also uses mask fins and snorkel, but the primary focus to perform extended breath-hold dives below the surface for activities such as spear-fishing or some other type of game collecting, or pushing one’s depth or time limits
- Minimum age 18, 4 with parental consent
What you can expect to learn:
The SDI Snorkeller Diver course takes an in-depth look at all of the following and more:
- The aquatic environment
- Heat loss
- Marine life injuries
- Physics and physiology
- Equalization techniques
- Snorkelling equipment
- Mask, fins, and snorkel
- Exposure protection
- Buoyancy compensator device
- Weight systems
- Dive flag
- Rescue signal
- Knife or cutting device
- Planning your dive
- Diver fitness and overexertion
- Buddy system
- First aid
Some of the required skills you will have to demonstrate include:
- Properly prepare, don, and adjust all snorkelling equipment
- Perform a buddy check, and demonstrate good use of the buddy system
- Safely conduct exits and entries either from land, or boat
- Achieve neutral buoyancy
- Proper breathing and clearing of a snorkel
- Proper use of buoyancy compensator device/snorkel vest
- Surface dives
- Proper use of hand signals
What’s in it for you?
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in snorkelling activities without direct supervision of the SDI Instructor* so long as the following limits are adhered to:
- The diving activities approximate those of training
- The areas of activities approximate those of training
- Environmental conditions approximate those of training
*Note: Junior snorkellers (ages 4-14) must participate in snorkelling activities with a parent, guardian, or dive professional.
SDI Snorkeller Diver minimum requirements:
- Complete all open water requirements efficiently
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgement concerning dive planning and execution
When you successfully complete the course, you will be able to safely explore the shallow areas of your favourite body of water whether it is a beautiful azure ocean or a warm fresh-water lake. To continue your adventure you can enrol in the SDI Open Water Scuba Diver.
- Courses times available on request
Atlantic Scuba SDI snorkel and dive school, Cornwall, UK.