The Sidemount Diver course teaches students how to utilize side-mounted primary cylinders as an alternative to the traditional back-mounted method.
Two separate courses are covered within this on-line program, the SDI Sidemount Diver course and the TDI Sidemount Diver course. Whether to take this course through Scuba Diving International (SDI) or Technical Diving International (TDI) will depend on your past training and experience, along with your future goals. If, for example, you have no prior technical diver training and experience, and you do not anticipate exceeding accepted sport diving limits, you will most likely take this course through SDI. On the other hand, if you see yourself doing technical dives or if you are interested in diving in overhead environments, you may decide on the TDI Sidemount Diver course.
Emphasis on this course is placed upon gear familiarity and sidemount diving skills and techniques.
The SDI Kayak Scuba Diver Speciality course is designed to develop the knowledge and skills necessary for an individual to use a kayak effectively for travel to and from a dive site. Kayaks provide a stable, economical, and efficient means of transportation over short distances. Scuba divers can use a kayak to carry gear during surface travel, provide a platform for dive operations and for dive flag deployment, and to return to shore after the dive. The ability to employ a kayak for scuba, extends the divers range and versatility.
The purpose of the SDI RNLI UK Sea Survival Speciality Diver Course is to cover the knowledge and skills to enable divers to be better prepared and skilled to dive in the UK environment. The course covers pre-dive planning with a focus on UK sea conditions, buddy procedures, emergency equipment, DSMB use and what to do if you are lost at sea. It is an ideal introduction to UK sea diving for anyone who has completed their training primarily at inland dive sites or outside of the UK.
If you’re in danger at sea, knowing what to do can make the difference between life and death. You could be rescued more quickly or may not even need rescuing if you have the right diving survival skills and kit.
The RNLI Diver Sea Survival course will provide you with the skills and knowledge to survive. We’ve developed the course in partnership with the British Diving Safety Group (BDSG).
What skills will I gain?
RNLI UK Sea Survival course covers:
- dive planning
- dive preparation
- navigation and safety equipment on dive boats
- diving in low-visibility conditions
- how to deal with out-of-air emergencies
- use of surface marker buoys (SMBs)
- ways of calling for help
- how to deal with an emergency on the surface.
You’ll also complete two open-water dives, to practise the skills and techniques you’ve learned.
International Training VIP Inspector Elearning Course
International Training Visual Inspection Procedures
Become a high-pressure cylinder inspector today! The International Training Visual Inspection Procedures eLearning program allows a VIP Inspector candidate to complete much of the academic requirements of the course at their own pace and on their own time. This is the first step for an individual who wishes to learn to the skills necessary to complete visual inspections on high-pressure cylinders in compliance with OSHA regulations. You will have access to the information provided in this eLearning program indefinitely after your training has been completed.
The Visual Inspector Procedures Inspector course is a two step process:
- Step one is to complete this self-study academic program. This program will acquaint you with the history, rules and regulations, potential risks, and safe handling of high-pressure cylinders. It will also review fill station operations, compressor use and maintenance as well as identifying fill pressures, hydrostatic test stamps, and special markings on cylinders. This on-line program will also cover elements of valve repair, O2 cleaning cylinders, and the basis for performing visual inspections on composite, steel and aluminium cylinders
- Step two is to print out the on-line course completion certificate and your course progress report and meet with an active International Training Visual Inspection Procedures Instructor. Your instructor will review questions and concepts that were missed throughout the course exams to ensure 100 percent re-mediation of the materials. Once that is completed, your instructor will demonstrate and then evaluate skills and tools necessary to determine if a cylinder can remain in service and be safely filled and used. Upon successful completion of the practical evaluation with an Instructor, registrations will be submitted for processing, and you will receive your VIP Inspector certification.
Contact Us for more details.
This Cylinder Inspection Course is designed to promote safety in the care and maintenance of high-pressure scuba cylinders. The VIP program is intended to demonstrate to the scuba industry, a need to meet and exceed the minimum standards established by the Code of Federal Regulations. In addition, it is intended to train inspectors in the proper handling, filling, and inspection techniques, including the identification of the various defective conditions that can lead to cylinder rejection or condemnation. The course will also cover the operation and repair of valves, cleaning and maintenance and the operation of high pressure compressor systems.
Who this course is for:
- Wish to know more about the visual inspection procedures used in the compressed gas industry, not just scuba
- Wish to know how to properly handle high pressure cylinders
- Will be working with high pressure cylinders as part of their employment
- Minimum age 18
What you can expect to learn:
The Visual Inspections Procedures course takes an in-depth look at all of the following and more:
- Legal requirements, standards of the community
- Safe handling of cylinders
- Fill station operator rules and recommendations
- Identification of the various cylinder markings
- Legal/illegal filling requirements
- Filling procedures
- Tools and their uses
- Visual inspection indications
- Proper identification of the various defect conditions
- Criteria for rejection and condemnation of a cylinder
- Define the criteria for cylinder rejection
- Define the criteria for condemning a cylinder
- Other services
- Valve inspection and cleaning
- Compressor operations
- oxygen cleaning
- The basis for cylinder cleaning
- Visual inspection procedures
- Step by step walk-through of the inspection process
What’s in it for you?
Upon successful completion of this course graduates may:
- Visually inspect high-pressure scuba cylinders for defective conditions that could cause a cylinder failure
- Train fill station operators (FSO) in the safe methods of handling, transporting and filling of high-pressure scuba cylinders
Also, the VIP certification counts towards a single speciality rating to achieve the SDI Advanced Diver Development Program.
Visual Inspection Procedures minimum requirements:
- Inspect a cylinder during the program
- Satisfactorily complete the SDI Visual Inspection written examination with a score of at least 80%
- Demonstrate the ability to identify those conditions in a cylinder that would reject or condemn
- 1 day
- £235 (one to one), group discount will apply
This course is listed under both SDI & TDI as it belongs to both agencies under the International Training banner.
The SDI Master Scuba Diver Development Program was created to make true master divers. The program requires a new open water diver to complete four SDI or TDI Specialities, the SDI Rescue Diver Course, and log 50 dives. SDI feels a diver will be a true master scuba diver after these steps accomplished.
If you have completed most of these requirements, then visit the SDI Master Scuba Diver Development Course page. This page will take you from a non diver to a Master Scuba Diver.
The requirements are as follow:
- Open Water
- 4 Specialities
- Rescue Diver
- 50 logged dives
Our course recommendations are:
- SDI Open Water Course, which is 4 dives
- SDI Advanced Adventure Course, which is 5 dives. Completing 4 of the speciality dives as complete SDI specialities (Deep, Navigation, Advanced Buoyancy and Boat are recommended) extra 4 dives from the specialities.
- SDI Rescue Diver, which is classed as 2 dives
- 35 shore or boat dives.
To complete the 35 extra dives, is not quick task. At Atlantic Scuba, we quite often go on shore dives around Cornwall. We also have our own boat, which goes out at least once a week, all year round. I the summer, our boat could be going out 7 days a week. The time it takes to complete the 35 dives depends on your availability and finances. Shore diving is relatively cheap, especially if you have your own equipment. Boat diving is more expensive but takes you to more interesting and exciting dive sites.
So, if you fancy becoming an SDI Master Scuba Diver, give us a call now.
Atlantic Scuba’s dive school teaches a range of Scuba Diving courses from
Scuba Diving International (SDI).
All SDI Available Courses:
- SDI Snorkeller Diver
- SDI Scuba Discovery Program
- SDI Future Buddies Program
- SDI Supervised Diver
- SDI Open Water Scuba Diver – SDI Open Water eLearning
- SDI Inactive Scuba Diver
- SDI Advanced Adventure Diver – SDI Advanced Adventure Diver eLearning
- SDI Advanced Diver
- SDI Advanced Buoyancy
- SDI Boat Diver
- SDI Computer Diver
- SDI Computer Nitrox Diver – SDI Computer Nitrox Diver eLearning
- SDI CPROX
- SDI Deep Diver – SDI Deep Diver eLearning
- SDI Diver Propulsion Vehicle
- SDI Drift Diver
- SDI Dry Suit Diver
- SDI Equipment Specialist
- SDI Full Face Mask
- SDI Kayak Diver
- SDI Marine Ecosystems Awareness
- SDI Night-Limited Visibility Diver
- SDI Research Diver
- SDI RNLI Sea Survival Course
- SDI Search & Recovery Diver
- SDI Shore/Beach Diver
- SDI Sidemount Diver : SDI Sidemount Diver eLearning
- SDI Solo Diver : SDI Solo Diver eLearning
- SDI Underwater Hunter & Collector
- SDI Underwater Navigation : SDI Underwater Navigation eLearning
- SDI Underwater Photography
- SDI Underwater Video
- SDI Visual Inspection Procedures : SDI VIP eLearning
- SDI Wreck Diver : SDI Wreck Diver eLearning
- SDI Rescue Diver : SDI Rescue Diver eLearning
- SDI Master Scuba Diver Development Course
- SDI Master Scuba Diver
- SDI Divemaster : SDI Divemaster eLearning
- SDI Assistant Instructor : SDI Assistant Instructor eLearning,
Atlantic Scuba dive school, Cornwall’s only SDI centre.
South West UK’s only 5* SDI Dive Centre, also the South West’s only 5* TDI Dive Centre.
SDI Full Face Mask Diver
Divers often have a need, or want, to effectively communicate underwater. The SDI Full Face Mask Course is the perfect starting point. Full face mask diving allows the diver to relax and enjoy diving while not worrying about the second stage regulator staying in place. In addition, the full face mask will help insulate the diver from a cold water environment. read more →
Atlantic Scuba also offers a combination of courses and experience dives, creating what we call a ‘Competent Diver’ level. Probably 99.9% of dives around the world are completed within the limits of these qualifications. Combining the Deluxe Open Water and Deluxe Advanced Adventure courses, our Competent Diver level also includes Enriched Air Nitrox Course with 6 Nitrox dives, plus, the Deep Diver certification.
Totalling 20 dives in total, over 11 days, with four diving qualifications. read more →