Having first of all assessed the standard of each participant be it beginner or more advanced, Jeff talks in some depth on how to get the best out of your camera.
During the courses, Jeff shows you how to film marine life in terms of technical quality as well as understanding how to get the most from a reef or wreck in terms of animal behaviour. You do need your own cameras and laptops for editing. Please contact Jeff for any pre-course advice.
Topics to be covered on the two day weekend sessions are:
- A discussion and practical session about cameras and how to set them up for the optimum results when filming.
- The do’s and don’ts of good camera techniques.
- Go through good basic camera set-up;
- Auto/Manual exposure – iris – shutter speed – gain
- White balance
Some basic filming techniques
- Steady shots
- Framing – especially with 16:9 – top and tail – anticipation of subject movement
- Pan and tilt
- Duration of shot
- Continuity of lighting – which effects contrast/colour/depth of field etc
- Pull focus – follow focus
The importance of planning and research
- Learning how to avoid having to process, and finally edit great quantities of poor quality video in terms of time, cost, and morale.
- Considering different audiences for your work.
- Basic sequence structure – W/A – M/S – C/U – Ex/C/U
- Story board – Planning if possible – plan while filming –think of how this is all going to fit together.
- Control how much you shoot – cost in time and resources
- Discuss who the audience might be and what their expectations are.
- Show a brief example of how to edit.
Equipment & Software needed for courses
- Video camera and underwater housing
- Laptop computer if editing
- Suitable software
By the end of the five days you will either have completed a good quality three minute film or at least be well on the way and have the necessary skills and knowledge to complete your project at home.
Itinerary for the five day video course:
Day 1 – classroom AM and 1-2 dives PM depending on weather and location and boat
Day 2 – classroom AM and 1-2 dives PM depending on weather and location
Day 3 – classroom AM and 1-2 dives PM depending on weather and location
Day 4 – classroom AM and 1-2 dives PM depending on weather and location
Day 5 – 1-2 dives AM and classroom PM
For the five day full course video only (no editing) – £650 for 6 dives
This includes a maximum of six dives, course fees and a copy of Jeff’s book ‘A Guide to Underwater Wildlife Video & Editing’.
Atlantic Scuba dive school, Jeff Goodman in Cornwall, UK.